Friday 26 October 2012

10 Days to Halloween - The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - October 27th 2012

Welcome back to '10 Days to Halloween'. Now anyone who saw my last post yesterday would have been expecting me to talk about George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead, but I decided to change my mind last minute and have decided to talk about The Silence of the Lambs instead.


Now, Silence of the Lambs isn't really seen to be a horror film, it's more of a psychological thriller, but come on... the dude eats people! He eats a guy's face in this film!

This film is mainly driven by main actors Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. It is mainly driven by the latter. Hopkins is immense in his role has insane, cannibal psychiatrist Hannibal Lecter. This character is played so well that it has been parodied over and over again but to no avail.

No one but Hopkins could have played this role how he did. With his creepy analyzing of Clarice Stirling's (Foster) psyche by smelling her perfume in one of the most iconic scenes of the genre, that being the scene in the cell block where Lecter is being held behind a special plastic containment unit. Hannibal Lecter is such a strange character that no one knows whether he or the antagonist, Buffalo Bill, is actually the real enemy or not.

The atmosphere of this film is very clinical and clean whilst being chilling and sometimes horrifying at the same time. With shots from corners of rooms and very close up shots of Hannibal's grin when he has pushed  Clarice's buttons just that far. The atmosphere in this film could be seen as one of the best in cinema.

Now I haven't spoken much on the plot because I really do not want to spoil this film for anyone who hasn't watched it. Again, it's not really a horror film but Hannibal Lecter is such a great villain that I felt that it deserved a slot on this Halloween countdown.

That's it for today guys, come back tomorrow for more. I'm going to stop announcing the next topic on my previous posts because I tend to change my mind a lot.



                                                 All photos and video belong to Strong Heart/Demme Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment