Thursday 15 November 2012

Quick Look - Silent Hill (2006)

Quick Look is a little series where I am going to do what I did on my Halloween countdown. I'm going to quickly look over a film and talk about it. Makes sense? Let's move on then.

I already spoke about my feelings on the Silent Hill games in my little rant post I made earlier today. Well, this is going to be a quick look at the Silent Hill film that was made in 2006.

Now this film isn't particularly a good one, but it does hold the accolade of being one of the best game to movie films ever made. At least in my opinion.

The film re-creates many of the elements that made the games scary, even taking some of the viewpoints and camera shots that made the game series creepy.

This film wasn't the greatest to be honest. It killed certain areas of the source material it had, like the whole burning of the witch scenes etc etc. But it did shine in certain other areas. The creature design was very nice, they put a lot of care and attention in to bringing to life many of the creatures that frightened gamers when they played the game series.

Now, you will notice a lot of comparisons are drawn to the game series but that tends to happen when the film is of the same IP that the game is from. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

EXPLANATION OF SILENT HILL


Moving on, the film doesn't do a very good job of explaining what Silent Hill actually is. It does at almost the very end of the film but, it fails to explain a thing compared with the game. I

n the game, the protagonist of each game is drawn to Silent Hill through different motives. A letter from a lost wife, in search for a child/sibling, or even end up there by crashing on the road and literally rolling into Silent Hill.

Now the film does take one of these as it's main plot point. A woman goes to Silent Hill, looking for a way to help stop her daughter's strange dreams, only to be separated  from said daughter and forced to search the ash laden, fog strewn street of Silent Hill.

I'm not going to tell any more of the plot. Fans of the game have probably already watched this film and if you haven't watched it, then you should before you go to see the new one. That is why I'm making this on this particular film.

The new one is interesting, but the original should be seen first. I would do a review on the new one but I honestly don't want to, I don't quite know how I feel about it yet. When I know, I will review it.

Anyways, thanks for reading guys.






                                           All content is owned by Tristar Pictures and Konami Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment